Friday, December 11, 2009

The First Post, Merry Christmas!

I have been meaning to start this blog for some time now, and I figured that I might as well jump in and join the Christmas party. We moved in to this house about three months ago and I think I got everything in place just in time to remove most of it for Christmas decorations.

About me, I am a mom of two boys, ages 2.5 and 16 months, and after I found out I was pregnant with the second one I quit my job as interior design manager and a fancy schmancy destination resort. It was a wonderful job, and I really miss it sometimes, but being a mom is way more important and definately more challenging!

Anyways, we moved into this place a few months back and have spent the last little while making it home, well as much of a home as a rental can be. Of course, it didn't take me long to remodel the whole thing in my head, and then implement the realistic (free) type things. So, while I am still waiting for the day that we can start tearing down walls, I do what I can here and there. Next week, I'll start to go through the house with a lot of my diy projects (kitchen table set re-finish, artwork....) and a room by room overview. So please, come back!


And now for Christmas!

We'll start with the biggie, the Tree! (I know, great picture) We cut our tree in the woods every year, which makes for lotsa memories, and explains why it looks like Charlie Brown and the gang will show up with the piano soon.

With the lots of gaps, holes and irregularities (aka BEAUTY) of a nature-grown tree, I have learned to fill and fluff with some stuff. This year, I have a combo of floral wrap, berries and bows. The floral wrap is like a burlap type of loose weave, but it is gold and sparkly and a little more stiff so that it fills well and frankly, I think it looks a lot better. The berries are some really fake looking stuff that I trimmed off an old garland and then some bows to really fill the holes.

The tree is right next to our tv cabinet (mantle). This is one of those fancy lift cabinets that I designed for a client back in the day. The manufacturer built it incorrectly, so instead of shipping it back they said I could have it! There is a lot in my house like that...one of the biggest things I miss about working!

It would be nice if it wasn't so hidden by the tree, but it weighs about two tons (I am barely exaggerating) so instead of moving it the tree just kind of sits in front of it. I inherited my mom's old "Peace" stocking hangers, and hung a wreath on the middle one since we have no third child. Or dog. Yet.

More of the floral wrap, berries and nativity scene are on the top. I usually buy some garland at Costco every year (I love the smell, can't go fake!) but because of the po' times we cut down two trees this year and I have been shamelessly stripping the second tree of it's branches to make garland and wreaths. At $5 a tree, it is way cheaper.

Oh, and don't mind the sidways picture of the naked baby. Soon and very soon I will have a brand new family photo there.

My sister made stockings for my hubby and I right after we got married, and then I made some for the boys when they were born. Each stocking has a line from "The night before Christmas."

The table behind the sofa. These"emmanuel" painted blocks are ones that I made. You can see it in my etsy shop here, or stay tuned after Christmas and I will show you how to make your own.

I hung my favorites of the Christmas decor, our White House Christmas prints (from our DC stint) on my not so favorite pine-treated wall, but I do love them with my Christmas Carol painting that I did this year. Again, there is one in my etsy shop here. Shameless, I know.


I will try to do a follow up post with the wreaths I have made, the mounds of garland that is camoflauging our front door, and the rest of the house, but since I managed to turn one room into a novel I think I had better cut myself off for this party. Also, it hasn't been above 15 degrees all week, so if you think I am going to try to fiddle with my point and shoot until I get a decent picture of my door you have another thing coming!

















4 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!! Everything is so festive.

    mY tOUR iS nOW sHARED....come by, if you can, to visit. Happy Holidays!

    CLICK HERE FOR DIRECT LINK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the birth of your blog! I love your tree. Mine is fake, too skinny, short, and named Phyllis...not so great, but festive just the same.

    Stop by the fringe and visit sometime!

    www.thedomesticfringe.com/2009/11/18/a-tree-named-phyllis

    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house is really lovely and so festive looking. I like your "Emmanuel" blocks, I will come back to see how you made them. Hugs, Cindy S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookin' good! Enjoy the blog!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete