Friday, December 18, 2009

Homemade Christmas!

I know I promised all sorts of home tours and happy diy home-y things but I am elbows deep in flour and desperately trying to finish the Christmas gifts I stupidly decided to make this year. I finished the last gift this morning, and now I have to finalize the baking list and shopping list for Monday. Ahhh Christmas.

Anyways, the gift I finished this morning is a scarf for the sister. I found a pattern here
at Pretty Ditty. And she does a WAY better job of modeling the after. Also, she has some great things in her etsy shop....

I thought that I could elaborate a little on the steps though.

You will need fabric, two yards is a good length. Cut that in half, lengthwise. You will need one package of little pom pom balls, and embroidery floss.
I started with a chiffon georgette that had to be hemmed all the way around, but to make this a little less sew, you could use a cotton jersey (t shirt material). I started by ironing the material in half so that I could follow the pleat to sew the embellishment in a straight line.




I used a running stitch, just a big stitch the whole length of the scarf.
I ironed the scarf at the quarter marks and sewed two more lines.

Then at one end, I placed one of the pom poms under the scarf and wrapped embroidery thread around the base of the ball.


I tied off each one by taking a small stitch, then wrapping the needle twice through the loop and pulling tight.
I used about 16 pom poms at each end
An now, if I can stop wearing it I can wrap it up and put it under the tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment